Australia’s Health Tracker report was released last week by the AHPC (Australian Health Policy Collaboration, Victoria University).
The findings are horrifying. Australia – this is you:
- Obesity: 28% adults / 30% school-age. A THIRD OF YOUR KIDS ARE OBESE.
- Sedentary lifestyle: 45% adults / 70% primary schoolers / 91% in high schoolers. LESS THAN 10% OF YOUR HIGH-SCHOOLERS ARE ACTIVE ENOUGH.
- Excessive sugar intake: 20% adults / >70% kids. BECAUSE WHY WOULDN’T YOU GIVE THEM STUFF TO MAKE THEM CRAZIER THAN THEY ALREADY ARE.
Thankfully smoking and excessive alcohol intake is on the decrease, but nevertheless…
- Over 50% AUSTRALIANS HAVE CHRONIC DISEASE – eg. Cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes;
- Of which ONE-THIRD IS PREVENTABLE – by controlling risk factors like smoking, obesity, alcohol misuse, physical inactivity, high blood pressure, and
- Amazingly, this can be done using ONLY 1.5% OF CURRENT HEALTHCARE SPENDING.
You’d think these statistics would be in the news right? Sadly no.
We prefer to headline politics, fuel racial/ religious/ Indigenous tensions, and feature the Spanish matador* gored to death by a bull.
If your job is “killer of bulls” then sadly having a bull kill you doesn’t make it news; it makes it karma.
Australia’s Health Tracker 2016.
* Spanish, from matar (to kill), from Vulgar Latin mattāre (to beat senseless), from Latin mattus (stupefied)