Smart people do stupid things but these (true) cases of medical professional misconduct make me think that we healthcare professionals deserve our own category in the Darwin Awards…
- A male doctor treating his metastatic ca rectum patient with IV injections of Vitamin C and mistletoe over 70 occasions, for the bargain price of $20,000;
- A male doctor prescribing drugs of dependence to persons with known addiction issues;
- A male doctor giving free consultations to his own receptionist, prescribing her psychotropic drugs, then having sex with her;
- A male doctor (GP) clearing his patient as fit to drive (despite several neurologist reports to the contrary). Patient drives, has an accident, kills a pedestrian;
- A male nurse who has a sexual relationship with a psychiatric inpatient, which continues post-discharge, before he’s reported to the Board. Responds by engaging in sexual misconduct with a second patient;
- A male nurse engaging in sexual misconduct with three separate female inpatients in a mental health facility;
- A male doctor prescribing drugs of dependence with no records. For himself.
It’s not just doctors and nurses, allied health have their share too…
- A male dentist who administered sedation without training and without patient consent, then allowed the patient to leave the clinic still sedated. A paediatric patient;
- A male physiotherapist who engaged in sexual relations with a woman he was treating for neck pain;
- A female Chinese medicine practitioner who failed to label her herbs properly.
Silly lady. Thinking she could get away with unlabelled herbs.